Monday, March 28, 2011

Blumentritt Market, Manila


Overhead shot of the Blumentritt Market in Metro Manila

Ferdinand Blumentritt was a teacher from Germany who was a close friend of the Philippines’ national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal. But the name Blumentritt today is more known as a Light Rail Transit (LRT) station and a market in Metro Manila. Definitely as a major market place (I consider it a level lower than Divisoria Market but higher than that in Quiapo), it is one of the important Manila places to go to especially for one’s day-to-day needs.


Cart carrying large plastic bags full of vegetables at Blumentritt Market

Fish sold along the street is cheap and so is the chicken; prices tend to be higher of vendors with stalls. Chicken eggs are surprisingly cheap – I was able to buy 8 pieces for 20 pesos, which means it sold for 2.50 per piece. However, the size of the egg is almost small enough to be mistaken for quail eggs. And so I just have to settle for a bit larger eggs selling for 6 pieces at 20 pesos.


Poultry and Meat stalls

I like Blumentritt if only because of its proximity to many Manila places. One short jeepney ride and I am at Recto or Quiapo. I will just take the MCU jeep and would be at Grand Central Caloocan 15 to 20 minutes later. A tricycle ride can take me to Espana Boulevard in 5 minutes. A ride on a project 8 jeep will see me in Munoz along EDSA in 20 minutes. LRT can also be a convenient means of transportation; 25 minutes is all it takes for me to reach Pasay Taft EDSA when taking an LRT ride at Blumentritt Station.


Fruit vendor using space under the Blumentritt Station to sell her wares

A few known Manila landmarks are just near Blumentritt such as SM City San Lazaro, which can be reached by just walking, albeit on a blistering summer day, we take the tricycle. By the way the location of the present SM San Lazaro is originally were one can find the San Lazaro Hippodrome. Also near the market is the Chinese General Hospital and Manila North Cemetery.

1 comment:

  1. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant.

    ReplyDelete