Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Roman Santos Building, Sta Cruz Manila

The hot afternoon had me wanting to check on some books at National Bookstore in Sta Cruz Manila. From Blumentritt, I took a Sta Cruz Manila – Taft bound jeepney, but then I decided to go farther and got off in front of Plaza Lacson (formerly known as Plaza Goiti) instead. Immediately I took notice of the Roman Santos Building, one that I often mistook as a government office when I was small.


Imposing structure Roman Santos Building, Santa Cruz Manila

Indeed, if there is a building worth mentioning in any Pinoy blogs, it is the Roman Santos Building, just near the Sta Cruz Church Manila. It is certainly one of the finest Manila attractions. I am not an expert at building styles and designs, but if only because of its columns and imposing height, the structure is simply worth marveling at. The site was originally occupied by the Monte de Piedad Savings Bank, founded by Felix Huertas, a Franciscan priest. Then the building was acquired by Roman Santos, a Filipino businessman who owns the Prudential Bank and Trust Company.

Currently the Bank of the Philippine Islands takes over ownership of the building, with one of its branches occupying the ground floor. One of the occupants was South Supermarket; I even had the chance to buy some snacks to eat on way to Dasmarinas, Cavite (The buses on way to the province pick up their passengers right in front of the building).

No comments:

Post a Comment