Thursday, March 31, 2011

Manila City of Spanish Time

I just love watching clips about old Manila. However, many of the clips are not moving videos but simply compilation of pictures of the old city. Here is one of the few documentaries about the city of Manila of old, complete with annotation.

The video mentions of Manila places such as Intramuros, Pasig River and Escolta Street. Drugstores of Escolta then was mentioned as having soda bar and telephone booth. The video likewise distinguishes the local women from those with foreign blood, Spanish and American most certainly.

The tobacco industry was recognized then as one of the major and most successful. Cigar produced during that time was considered as among the best in the world. Philipine prison, Tondo and Corregidor islands are also featured in the video. The prison then was obviously a place for rehabilitation of those who committed crimes to pave the way for future reintegration to society. Tondo was famous then for its nipa shacks while Corregidor, as always, is known for its beautiful sunset.

Just about anyone who loves to watch old Manila will definitely have a nice treat upon watching the video.

1 comment:

  1. Manila is really a place of history and rich culture. I love the City especially the Bay. I fell in love with Manila Bay the first time I saw the perfect sunset here. I also noticed condo developments facing the bay. I hope someday I can buy a unit in this condo in Manila Bay and start enjoying the sunset everyday of my life.

    ReplyDelete