Friday, April 1, 2011

Waterless Day at Blumentritt, Manila

Today, I woke up to a waterless morning. Most parts of Blumentritt in Manila are alas without water. Not a single drop of water from the faucets, in the kitchen, bathroom, dirty kitchen, laundry room (read: the back area of the house).

What did I do?

First of all, it was a good thing there was enough water to accommodate the usual morning going-ons (bathroom and toilet), so no problem with that

Second, we still had two five-gallon jugs of mineral water (one a third full) that was enough to be used for drinking and cooking purposes. When it comes to the latter, we decided to just buy some roasted pork to do away with the use of water. I even bought some paper plates for lunch.

The problem is a busted pipe right in the middle of the intersection between Sta. Cruz Avenue and Blumentritt Street, and the guys from Maynilad (company in charge of water service this side of the city of Manila) are in the middle of fixing it. Hopefully, whatever it is that they were doing, positive comes up as soon as possible.

And indeed, my prayers were answered. While watching How I Met Your Mother (series 4, episode 16), I heard dripping from the faucet. Water is back! However, happiness was short-lived when I noticed brown water coming out. Still I am half in joy as it can still be used to clean the toilet. Better this than nothing at all.

What mom did was let water flow from time to time for the cleaner water to eventually come out. Somehow the water did get a little clearer. I guess we do have to wait for some more time before clean water from the faucet can finally be enjoyed.

Five years in Israel, a former desert, and not a single experience of water problem. Back in Manila running at 5 months and this is now the second time we had water situations. Now I know I am back in my beloved Philippines for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment